--- "Charles K. Clarkson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

[snip]

> my $prev_date;
> if ( $prev_date ne 'foo' ) {    ## LINE 28 ##
>     print 'foo';
> }
>
>     Since prev_date does not have value, it cannot
> be compared
> without raising a warning. On the second pass
> $prev_date has
> a value.

Isn't $prev_date assigned to '', and isn't that
different than being undefined?  I guess I'm confused
on that.

[snip]

> : # open the file
> : open(LOG,"$line") or die "Unable to open
> LOG:$!\n";
>
>     Don't quote $line. Don't place a newline after
> $!.
> It suppresses line number info.

I've always wondered why it worked sometimes and
didn't work others.  Thanks fo the info.

Sorry about the way yahoo quotes stuff.  Need to find
another web based email program.

Denzil