Hi All,

I have a database file, some_sch.txt that is arranged like this:

username1
First Last
Some Community Sch
1000 S Adams St
Town, Indiana 12345 U.S.A.

username2
First Last
Some Community Sch
1000 S Adams St
Town, Indiana 12345 U.S.A.

username3
First Last
Marion Community Sch
1000 S Adams St
Town, Indiana 12345 U.S.A.

I want the file to look like this:

username1    First Last    Marion Community Sch     1000 S Adams St    Town,
Indiana 12345 U.S.A.
username2    First Last    Marion Community Sch     1000 S Adams St    Town,
Indiana 12345 U.S.A.
username3    First Last    Marion Community Sch     1000 S Adams St    Town,
Indiana 12345 U.S.A.

Here is what I have so far,  I don't how to tell perl what is what in the
input file, I know this is a ways away from what I want, but if I could get
some help w/ the first part, I would really appreciate it.
I think I might need a next statement after each Scalar in the loop?

 Thanks!

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

my $datafile = "C:/brian/some_sch.txt";
open (IN, $datafile);
while (<IN>) {

    chomp;

   my $user_name = substr $_, 0, 15;  # extract the last username field
   my $full_name = substr $_, 0, 20;  # extract the name field
   my $cust_name = substr $_, 0, 40;  # extract the customer name field
   my $address = substr $_, 0, 30;    # extract the address field
   my $csz = substr $_, 0, 40;        # extract the city, state and zip
field

    print "$user_name $full_name $cust_name $address $csz\n";
}

close (IN);

Brian Volk
HP Products
317.289.9950 x1245
 <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED]