On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Charlene Gentle wrote:

> I would like to know what is the best method and how to use it.
>
> I have a html page with a question.  The user submit the question.  I
> want the answer to be sent to a perl script that test it for stuff, and
> the the perl script must send the result back to the html.  The html
> must display the result.
>
> How can I get that done.  Do I have to use cgi or php?

Either would work, but if you're already using Perl on the back end, it
might make sense to stick with Perl / CGI.

Note also that you're talking about several quite different things:

 * Perl is a general purpose programming language that, among other
things, has been very popular for web & systems administration work.

 * PHP is a web-focused language that in many ways inherits from Perl.

 * HTML is a way of formatting text for the web; it is inert -- if you
want to do something dynamic like what you describe above, you use some
other language like Perl or PHP to generate the HTML for you.

 * CGI is a way for a web server to send data to a program that runs on
that server, and for sending the output from that program back through
the web server to the web client (browser). CGI programs can be written
in just about any language; Perl is only one of the available languages,
but (for example) PHP can also run in CGI mode.

This article gives a decent overview of the topics:

  <http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/cgi/appa_01.html>

And from there, you can read the whole book here:

  <http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/cgi/>

Look over what you find there and let us know if you have specific
questions.

> How does it look, can anyone please give me an exsample.

Pretty much the whole web. For example.

--
Chris Devers