Hi All,
I have to write a code wherein I have to access each character in a
string and compare it with '-'

$_ = $seq1[0];
while(/./g) {
 if($1 eq '-') {
    $res1[0] .= '-';
 }
 else {
    $res1[0] = "A";

I have initialised $_ with the string in which I have to search. Now I
know that the while loop will read each and every character in the
string. I just need to get that character read to make the comparison. I
know $1 doesnt work because it is not :) Where is the value returned or
how can I assign a variable the value of the condition in the while loop ?

Thanks,
Manas.