Jason,

You state your question, and practically give the answer in the solution.
:-)

You have a for loop inside a while loop. Both loops set $_. You state that
you can not properly do your match within the for loop because you need the
$_ value set by the while loop. Well ... why don't you just "save" the value
of $_ set by while?

See code below:

"Jason Wozniak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message ...
<snip>

> lies in the while loop of my search subroutine.  If I use a for loop to
> iterate over all the passwords for each line of the input file, $_ is
> overwritten with a numeric value before the matching can take place, so
> I can't match the line I'm reading in from the file.  If I get rid of
> the for loop and use a counter like $count to iterate through my array,

<snip>

>       while (<FILE>) {

        while ( defined(my $line=<FILE>) ) {

>             for (0..$#passwords) {