Or 2GB (or another arbitrary limit set by the OS).  Many computers,
specifically those that are 32 bit, may have a limit, and/or your
version of 'perl' may be compiled without large file support, in which
case you may be capped below the size of memory (not to mention swap).

Especially with the blurred line between 32/64 bits that modern
processors are creating...

http://danconia.org