The idea is to be able to submit data to $url for it to be processed (which may take a while)
without waiting for it to finish.

LWP::Parallel does mutiple $urls in parallel but I want to submit a single url like you would with LWP but not wait, does that make sense?

Would a fork() of some sort be the best way?

Or what is that even called so I can look around for it?

[jwm] Don't use LWP but in my CGI scripts I set $| to nonzero ... to do what you
want...

Thanks, I'm not worried about flushing output, I want to submit the url and move on like so:

say, it takes the entire http session 60 seconds from start to finish to submit the url, the script to run and return the results

I want:
 print "Starting...\n";
 nowaiturl("$url?foo=bar");
 print "$url has been submitted, in appx 60 seconds it will finish";

to run in like it had been (obviously it'll take a bit more than print() but it illustrates the idea):
print "Starting...\n";
print "$url?foo=bar";
print "$url has been submitted, in appx 60 seconds it will finish";

make sense?