On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, FlashMX wrote:

> Right...but my problem is I don't want the substitutions to happen on
> ALL the lines matched.

Fine then.

    $line = sub_one( $line ) COND;

Where COND is any condition you specify, e.g.

    $line = sub_one( $line ) if     ( $line =~ /pattern one/ );
    $line = sub_two( $line ) unless ( $line =~ /pattern two/ );

Of you can put the logic in the hypothetical subroutine:

  sub sub_one {
    return $_ unless ( $_ =~ /pattern one/ );

But I think putting the condition in the first way is clearer here.

--
Chris Devers