Dear Paul,

> > I believe the issue is related to an incorrect optimisation of the regex.
>
> Why do you think that?

Changed my mind... :)  The (even shorter) regex:

/(1?)*/

Compiles as:

   1: CURLYX[0] {0,32767}(12)
   3:   OPEN1(5)
   5:     CURLY {0,1}(9)
   7:       EXACT <1>(0)
   9:   CLOSE1(11)
  11:   WHILEM[1/1](0)
  12: NOTHING(13)
  13: END(0)

> I suspect that you are just blowing the stack.

Agreed now.  Mind you, changing the program stack space
is not likely to help.  I don't think perl will use the program
stack for the regex engine.

> > I strongly recommend perlbug.  I will add to it.
>
> There are already a number of stack blowing RE bugs in the db.  If you
> want to add this one, could you try and find an existing similar bug and
> add your code as a test case?

Changed my mind on this too, the perl 5 team knows this one a thousand
times over.  Looking at RT for perl 5, the first bug report was in 1999!  Maybe
the fix is to make the regex engine significantly slower - hence no action.

Alternatives are quicker anyway.

Jonathan Paton