From: Paul Ohashi
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 4:19 PM
To: 'Jeffrey Paul Burger'
Subject: RE: Trouble with compound regular expression matching

This one worked for me:

        /^.*\.[tj][pi][gfe].*$/

Hope this helps
- Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Paul Burger [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 4:06 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I tried everything I could think of to get this to work before pleading for
help!

I need to check if a file is either a TIFF or JPEG graphics file.
(Case-insensitive variations of qualifying suffixes would be .tif, .tiff,
.jpg and .jpeg.) So far I have three difference versions of what seem to be
a valid line of code to test a single pattern. ($file_name holds the name of
the file. Also, for logic reasons, I'm testing that it's NOT one of these
types):

if ($file_name !~ /tif$/i) {}

if ($file_name !~ m/tif\b/i) {}

if ($file_name !~ m/.*.tif/i) {}

But I can't for the life of me figure out how to structure a working version
of a more complex variation on any of the these that test all four cases (or
even a second one, for that matter). From my reading, I would expect the
following to work, but it doesn't:

if ($file_name !~ /tif$/i | /jpg$/i) {}

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeffrey Paul Burger
2675 W. Hwy. 89A - PMB 455
Sedona, AZ 86336
928-203-0170

"There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as if everything is."
                                    --Albert Einstein