Hi

   I want to replace all occurances of  'and' with '&' in all the given files

   inputfile.txt containts all the names of the files to process.

    i wrote a small shell script for this
     for i in `cat inputfile.txt`
     do
        cp $i ${i}.bk
        sed -e 's/ and / & /g' ${i}.bk > ${i}     # don't replace hand with h&
     done

     Here the problem is the files are owned by different users with
different permissions. But now all the files are owned by root and
also many of the files  with changed permission. i don't want to
change the original ownership and permission of the file.

    Is perl can  help me in this problem !!