On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:46:13 -0800 (PST), Christopher Spears
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Let's say I have a text file filled with:
>
> stuff
> stuff
> stuff
>       Users sometext
>               tom
>               dick
>               harry
>       Users more sometext
>                        larry
>                        curly
>                        moe
>                        moe
> stuff
> stuff
> etc.
>
> I need to write a Perl script that will go through the
> file and find the lines with Users, process that line,
> and then start looking for moe (who may occur more
> than once).  Upon finding another line with Users, the
> code should loop and process the line and then start
> looking for moe again.  How should I proceed?

You text example leaves something to the  imagination.
>From the text above, and your requirements, it seems like
you can just search the whole file for 'moe'. When does
a 'Users'-part end? I'm guessing occurences of 'moe' outside
a "Users"-part shouldn't be handled?

Not really sure if this a valid way to do it, I've never nested reads on
the same filehandle myself.

## loop over file
while( <FH> ) {

   ## Check for users part
   if ( /Users/i ) {

      ## Loop over users part (Is this considered bad form?)
      while( <FH> ) {

         ## Check for end of Users
         last if /endofUserspart/;

         ## Check for moe