On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, JupiterHost.Net wrote:

> Saurabh Singhvi wrote:
> > HI all,
>
> Hello,
>
> > i want to write a perl script in linux that would get the file names
> > in the directory i am running it in and then execute a system command
> > for each file.(the encoding line). how should i go about it??
>
> perl -mstrict -we 'for(`ls`) { chomp;print `grep foo $_`; }'

By which you're basically saying the following non-Perl statement::

    $ for file in *; do command "$file"; done

Or, as a full shell script:

    #/bin/sh
    command=/whatever/you/want
    for file in *
    do
        $command "$file"
    done

But I'm still confused -- why not just forget all this and do a

    $ command *

?

I see no need for Perl *or* shell to solve this, unless the system
command in question doesn't know how to take multiple files as input.

--
Chris Devers