Some people emailed me privately and asked that I do post
what I've come up with to the list.

I wrote this program over the course of the last week,
starting with very little perl experience (I've modified
others code, and small things like that) and acomplished
a goal that prior to last week I considered unobtainable.

Here is the current version.  I expect to continue tweaking
(one of the goals is to put the data in a database instead
of a flat text file) but otherwise the program is doing
what I want it to do.

I want to say thanks again to the guys on this list
who helped me crank out my very first, actual, useable,
from-scratch perl program.  I know it's simple, but
I'm still proud. :)

Comments are appreciated.

Anyway, it can be found here:

http://nothingimportant.net/perl-stuff/alcatel_readserial