----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Monday, January 24, 2005 11:44 am
Subject: Problems installing Text-Iconv-1.4

> Hi.
Hi Chriss,

> I'm trying to install a local copy of the W3C HTML Validator. I've
> managed to install all the pre-requisites apart from Text-Iconv-
> 1.4 - I
> get the following error message:
>
> /[EMAIL PROTECTED] Text-Iconv-1.4]# perl Makefile.PL
> Checking for iconv ... ok (added -liconv)
>
> NOTE: If you have multiple iconv implementations installed, you might
>      want to make sure that I've found the one you want to use.
>      If necessary, you can explicitly specify paths like this:
>
>      /usr/bin/perl5.8.5 Makefile.PL LIBS='-L/path/to/lib'
> INC='-I/path/to/include'
>
> Checking if your kit is complete...
> Looks good
> Writing Makefile for Text::Iconv
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] Text-Iconv-1.4]# make
> cp Iconv.pm blib/lib/Text/Iconv.pm
> AutoSplitting blib/lib/Text/Iconv.pm (blib/lib/auto/Text/Iconv)
> /usr/bin/perl5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/ExtUtils/xsubpp  -typemap
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/ExtUtils/typemap -typemap typemap  Iconv.xs >
> Iconv.xsc && mv Iconv.xsc Iconv.c
> make: *** No rule to make target
> `/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE/EXTERN.h',
> needed by
> `Iconv.o'.  Stop.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] Text-Iconv-1.4]#/
>
> Does anyone know what might be going wrong here? I have installed
> libiconv-1.9.1 and man iconv opens the manual up, so I assume I
> have got
> iconv installed.
>
> I have tried to change LIBS/INC to reflect my setup but to be
> honest I'm
> not exactly sure what I should be pointing at here.

Yaik's, what OS are you working with ?? Do you have more then one verssion of
perl installed ?? Basicly the problem is that, it can't find your Perl Header
files. Short solution would be to find where your header files are and create a
link to them somewhere in /usr/lib/perl5...

> Any advice (or suggestions on where I can research this myself)
> would be
> greatly appreciated.

let me know if that helps.
mark G