Hi ,
actually you're just opening a directory ... and you're not writing into a file
to write a file .. you can use the following
1- with replace the old file
open(FILE,">$dir/filenamt.txt");
print FILE "Something Here";
close(FILE);
2- to write into  a file with out replace it .. (with out removing the old one).
open(FILE,">>$dir/filename.txt");
print FILE "Something to print in the file";
close(FILE);

i hope i helped you :)

bye