On Feb 15, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

Could not find this variable in perlvar under 5.8.0 for sun solaris
can you explain it?

perlmonk:~ 101:$ perldoc perlvar ... $. Current line number for the last filehandle accessed.

        Each filehandle in Perl counts the number of lines that have
        been read from it.  (Depending on the value of $/, Perl's idea
        of what constitutes a line may not match yours.)  When a line
        is read from a filehandle (via readline() or "<>"), or when
        tell() or seek() is called on it, $. becomes an alias to the
        line counter for that filehandle.

        You can adjust the counter by assigning to $., but this will
        not actually move the seek pointer.  Localizing $. will not
        localize the filehandle's line count.  Instead, it will local-
        ize perl's notion of which filehandle $. is currently aliased
        to.

        $. is reset when the filehandle is closed, but not when an open
        filehandle is reopened without an intervening close().  For
        more details, see "I/O Operators" in perlop.  Because "<>"
        never does an explicit close, line numbers increase across ARGV
        files (but see examples in "eof" in perlfunc).

        You can also use "HANDLE->input_line_number(EXPR)" to access
        the line counter for a given filehandle without having to worry
        about which handle you last accessed.

        (Mnemonic: many programs use "." to mean the current line num-
        ber.)

--
Jeff "japhy" Pinyan         %  How can we ever be the sold short or
RPI Acacia Brother #734     %  the cheated, we who for every service