Wags,

come on.... you did not answer all my questions???  What about

I took away the + from the print and I had some errors, why is the +
infront of the split needed in Perl?
I looked in my programming perl and could not find it/.

The reason I want to use split is b/c these numbers change frequently and I
am guaranteed this "field" as opposed to using a substr the starting point
of $_ would be 25 and the length would fluctuate.

yes maybe I am not using split that way it should be, but If my delimiter
would be anything it would have to be everything between \w+ , field 3 or a
space.

I am trying to get the difference between these 2 numbers b/c in the ASM
env. regular files and archdone files should NEVER get larger that say....
300.

Can you provide or anyone else provide any more hints?

thanks,

Derek B. Smith
OhioHealth IT
UNIX / TSM / EDM Teams

             "Wagner, David
             --- Senior
             Programmer                                                 To
             Analyst --- WGO"          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         <beginners@perl.org>
             ight.fedex.com>                                            cc

             03/11/2005 04:25                                      Subject
             PM                        RE: print with +split

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> All,
>
> Here is my code:
> use strict;
> use warnings;
> my $dev  = qw/original1/;
> my $dev1 = qw/clinical1/;
> my $fout = qq(/usr/local/log/fuji.out);
>
>         open (OUT, "+>$fout") || die "unable to open file: $fout $!";
>         open (FOO, "samcmd a $dev 2>\&1 |" ) || die "unable to open
> pipe... $!";
>         while (<FOO>) {
>              if (/regular files/ or /archdone files/) {
>                 my $diff=0;
>                 local $, = "\n";
>                 s/,//;
>                 print +(split)[2], $,, $diff-=$1;
             I think you are mixing your metaphors. $1 is not field 1 , yes
in awk maybe, but for Perl it deals with the ()'s in a regular expression
so you would need the regular expression to accomplish your task.

Wags ;)
>              }
>
> and it prints w/out the $diff code
>
> 62622
>
> 62535
>
> WITH the $diff code it is NOT subtracting the two numbers which is
> what I need.
>
> I think the problem is $_ contains data from the original app command
> which is
>
> regular files            62,622    597.488G          641547379187
> archdone files       62,535    597.008G          641032761295
>
> and so I am saying subtract what is in field 1 , well field 1 is
> empty, but why????
> finally, I took away the + from the print and I had some errors, why
> is the + infront of the split needed in Perl?
>
> thank you,
> derek
>
> Derek B. Smith
> OhioHealth IT
> UNIX / TSM / EDM Teams

This message contains information that is confidential
and proprietary to FedEx Freight or its affiliates.
It is intended only for the recipient named and for
the express purpose(s) described therein.
Any other use is prohibited.