----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Rabbitson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 5:04 am
Subject: simple server app

> Hi everyone,
Hello,

>Here is my situation. I have a windows system which
> continuoslyruns a perl script, which utilizing Win32::Process and
> Win32::Setupsup is
> controlling a windows only app and when triggered makes it spit
> export files
> to a samba network share. From there on my main process which runs
> off a CGI
> under linux uses those files for internal purposes and so on and
> so forth. I
> would like to be able to trigger all exports remotely from the linux
> machine. In order to do this I need to communicate 4 strings to
> the process
> running on the windows machine. No information should be returned
> back,except maybe a 0/1 flag signifying failure/completion. I
> looked into SOAP
> and since I am not running Apache or IIS or anything else on the
> windows box
> for increased stability I started thinking about something like
> SOAP::Transport::TCP (not much docs to look at unfortunately). It
> seems to
> be able to do the job, however I feel it is an overkill for
> communicating 4
> strings one way and 1 string the other way...  I would appreciate
> if more
> seasoned programmers share suggestions on how would they approach
> such a
> problem (maybe there is something way simpler than SOAP that I
> simply do not
> know about).
 If it's just a bit of data exchange you can use a simple server to accomplish
this task, and possibly build your own protocol for data exchange. Below is a
simple server example.

#!PERL

use warnings;
use strict;
use IO::Socket::INET;
$|=1;
my $sock = IO::Socket::INET->new( Listen    => 5,
                                 LocalAddr => '127.0.0.1',
                                 LocalPort => 9000,
                                 Proto     => 'tcp') or die "ERROR: $!\n";

if( my $session = $sock->accept() ){

        print "connection from: ",$session->peerhost,"\n";
        my $msg=<$session>;
        print "Received: $msg";
}
else{
        die "Error on Socket $!\n";
}

> Thank you
your welcome, hope it helps let us know if you have more issue's at hand.
Mar G.