On 30 Mar 2005 07:07:56 -0800, Randal L. Schwartz <merlyn@stonehenge.com> wrote:

> Chris> By convention, the .pm extension denotes Perl modules -- libraries used
> Chris> by other scripts but not run directly -- and .pl denotes Perl scripts
> --
> Chris> programs that *are* meant to be run directly.
>
> Not scripts.  Libraries.  Scripts don't get extensions, unless you're
> on brain-dead redmond-generated remote distributed virus loaders.

I respectfully disagree. I blame Richard Stallman for my habits, not
Bill Gates, et. al.  'emacs test' when creating a file opens it in
Text Fill, but 'emacs test.pl' when creating a file saves me 'M-x
perl-mode' (or 'M-x Cperl-mode', depending).  If it's going to end up
as an executable, I strip the suffix later.

--jay