On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 10:56:16AM -0500, JupiterHost.Net wrote:

> Peter Rabbitson wrote:
>
> >Hello everyone,
>
> Hello,
>
> >Very simple: I need to generate a file and upload it to ftp. Currently I
> >am wrapping the file together, writing it out to a temp file on disk,
> >calling $ftp->put($tmp_file) on it, and unlinking it. Is there a way to
> >skip the write to disk? The put() method seems to expect a path only,
> >rather than
>
> You'd use stor/write/close:
>
>  my $stor = $ftp->stor($new_file_on_ftp_server);
>  $stor->write($new_file_guts, length($new_file_guts));
>  $stor->close();
>
> See `perldoc Net::FTP` for more info
>
> HTH :)
>
> Lee.M - JupiterHost.Net

Errrr... This looks a little complicated. I mean I would have to get size of
the string in question and the data is utf8, meaning more headaches. Or I
simply don't know how to do it which leads to the same result :)

Nevertheless I somehow overlooked the part in the documentation where it
says that put() takes a filehandle as well:

open (VIRTUAL, '<:utf8', \$data);
$ftp->put (\*VIRTUAL, $conf->{target_tsv}) or die 'Could not upload file'
$ftp->quit;
close (VIRTUAL);

Works like a charm.

Thanks!