Peter Rabbitson wrote:
I think really good programmers write "nice" readable programs
(scripts), so begginers should understand that sooner. I think, that's
why better using "or" instead "||".

Come-on guys! Read your mails. John Krahn spent the time to write a
wonderful explanation why || simply DOES NOT WORK when used with open
(although it works for the general case, which does not constitute the term
'works'). Don't lure beginners into thinking this is a matter of style (like
I used to think myself). There is a very rigid logical explanation behibd
it, and whether you are a beginner or not doesn't change the facts.

I did not say that it does not work, for example this is completely acceptable:

open( IN, $file ) || die "error: $!";

John
--
use Perl;