Siegfried Heintze wrote:

>>Have a look at Perl-Gtk2: http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/
>>

>Assuming I'm not interested in the Cygwin X Server...
>
>I looked here and felt confused. Do I need to download the native GIMP
>first? I clicked on the "PPM repository" and saw a big list of files. Which
>one of these do I want to run GTK on Win32 with ActiveState perl? Will the
>ppm install everything?

You don't need Gimp. You need the Gtk2 runtime package available at
http://members.lycos.co.uk/alexv6/
It's a single installer.

For the Perl side of things, you will need the latest version of each of
the packages at http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/win32/ppm/

>I tried "ppm install Gtk-Perl" and that did not work. Does ppm not search
>source forge by default? If so, what do I need to download from source
>forge? Glib, ExeUtils-Depends-MsWin32-AP586.tar.gz? What is GladeXML?

I don't know where ppm searches by default. You can add repositories -
read the documenation for ppm. Otherwise give ppm the FULL http path to
the ppm file and it will download the package and install it.

>Is there a way to make PPM search source forge? If not, I suppose I have to
>manually download some PPD file and then how do I tell ppm to use the local
>ppd file?

Yes there is. I haven't done it in a while, but it didn't take much
searching to find out how to 'add a repository'. As for downloading the
file and using it locally, I found it easier to point to the ppd file on
a web server.

>>isn't really surprising. I'm using a Gtk2 installer available at
>>http://members.lycos.co.uk/alexv6/
>>

>What is the installer for? I thought you were using ppm! Or is installaer
>for the applications you write?

The installer is for the Gtk2 runtime libraries, which create Gtk2
widgets ( buttons, combo boxes, list boxes, spin buttons, etc ) under
Windows.

>>and it's quite painless to get it
>>working and the Perl-Gtk2 bindings installed ( install with
>>ActiveState's ppm tool ).
>>

>What commands did you use?

ppm http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/win32/ppm/Gtk2-1080.ppd

etc

>>I've ported a number of our database
>>front-ends to Perl-Gtk2, initially targetting Linux, and since found out
>>that they work perfectly with this setup.
>>

>Perfectly on windows?

In my *limited* testing, yes. The widgets and their bindings appear to
behave identically under Windows. I made use of the following widgets:

GtkEntry
GtkComboBoxEntry
GtkSpinButton
GtkToggleButton
GtkButton
GtkTreeView
GtkNotebook
GtkLabel
GtkTextView
GtkCalendar
GtkFileChooserDialog

This list is not complete. There are other 'behind the scenes' widgets
that Glade puts in place, and I also use a number of custom widgets. The
above widgets, however, are the main ones you'll be using when making
pretty much all GUI apps. And all of them performed perfectly on
Windows. Just a little slower than Linux.

>>Quite impressive. A screenshot
>>of one of the apps is available at:
>>http://entropy.homelinux.org/Gtk2-Ex-DBI/ ... this also the page for my
>>1st open-source project: Gtk2::Ex::DBI ...
>>

>What is this DBI for? What is wrong with the other DBI implementations?

It's not a DBI implementation. It's a 'glue' module that sits between
DBI, your GUI and your application. It uses DBI to retrieve records from
the database ( based on reqests that your application sends it ). It
then 'paints' your record on your form, detects changes that a user
makes to fields, and handles updating the database ( via an 'apply'
method ). It also handles moving between records, undoing changes ( to
the current record before it's committed ), error handling, and plenty
of other things. It even manages selecting partial record 'slices' ( or
'pages' as I suppose I should call them ) to reduce bandwidth and memory
requirements ... so instead of fetching all records returned by a query,
it will select the first 100 ( default, but you can change it ) records,
and then only get the next 100 if your user selects to 'move' into this
range. This recent addition means your apps are *very* light and fast,
even on painfully slow computers ( tested on Celeron 333 with 128MB ).

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer