I have a fragment of code (consisting of a while loop) that removes all the
keywords in string and puts them at the end. I would like to extract this
while loop into it's own function and have patterns as function arguments.

What should I pass to the function? Strings?

Strategy A:

sub abc { my $s = shift; my $old = shift; my $new = shift; while ($s =~
s/$old/$new/g) { .... }

&abc(" long string here ", "here", "hear");

or
Strategy B

# not sure how to write the sub...

&abc(" long string here", /here/, /hear/);

Thanks again,
Siegfried