Rajarshi Das wrote:
Hi,
Following is a snapshot of a bareword test :
--------------------------
use utf8;
my %hash = (те => 123);
is($hash{те}, $hash{'те'});
---------------------------
It runs on ascii and passes but fails on ebcdic (z/OS, ibm-1047) with perl-5.8.6.

The above two barewords (т and е) which make up the key of the hash, cannot be displayed on ebcdic. What do I replace the above barewords (which correspond to '\xb8\x43\x43' and \xb8\x42\x64' in utf-ebcdic) with, on ebcdic ?

Can I say %hash = ('\xb8\x43\x43'.'\xb8\x42\x64' => 123) ? Or would this mean a string because of the single quotes and the concat operator ?

Is there some other way to represent the barewords above (other than printing the bareword characters themselves), so that the test works ?

Thanks in advance,
Rajarshi.

I see that you are also posting this on the mailing lists perl5-porters and perl-unicode so could you please remove further posts on this topic from the beginners list? TIA.

John
--
use Perl;
program