Below is taken from: http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBD-mysql/lib/DBD/mysql.pm

Also look at:
http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/4.1/prepared-statements.html

Prepared statement support (server side prepare)

    To use server side prepared statements, all you need to do is set
the variable mysql_server_prepare in the connect:

    $dbh = DBI->connect(
"DBI:mysql:database=test;host=localhost:mysql_server_prepare=1", "",
"", { RaiseError => 1, AutoCommit => 1 } );

    To make sure that the 'make test' step tests whether server
prepare works, you just need to export the env variable
MYSQL_SERVER_PREPARE:

    export MYSQL_SERVER_PREPARE=1

    Test first without server side prepare, then with.