On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Beast wrote:

> I have prototype that should parse big log files (680MB) converted
> into nice GUI apps. It's not nice if the machine totaly freeze during
> testing. (linux 512MB/2GB swap).

Are you trying to read the whole file in at once, or are you trying to
read through it using data as you walk along?

Hint: the latter approach can be far more memory efficient.

There are OS tricks that can help accomodate a misbehaving program, but
they rarely work as well as reconsidering algorithms in that program.

--
Chris Devers