Victor Pezo wrote:
> Hi,  I am developing a program that sets passwd for any user but i
> dont want the operator sets the passwd. I want to give it as a result
> of a function
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] victor]$ perl passwd.pl victor1
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> $usuario=$ARGV[0];
> $passwd="PASSWDGENERATEBYOTHERFUNCTION"
> `sudo /usr/sbin/useradd -c $usuario -s /sbin/nologin $usuario`;
> `sudo /usr/bin/passwd $usuario`;
>
> I could add the user, but in the set passwd line.
> When I use this script always I have a prompt of password assigment
> that I dont want. Could you give me some light of what can I do?

The classic answer to this is to use the Expect module, because passwd(1)
historically has read only from /dev/tty.

However, if you're on Linux, passwd(1) has a --stdin option that lets you
supply the password via standard input. So you could write something like
(untested):

   system "echo \Q$passwd\E | sudo /usr/bin/passwd --stdin \Q$usario\E";