On Jul 22, Perl said:

what can be the syntex of assigning a variable (my $path) in perl which  is
taking value (for example  c:\documents\script.txt) from an expternal APP.

How is your program getting passed this value? On the command-line? If so, then you would access the value from the @ARGV array. $ARGV[0] holds the first argument, $ARGV[1] the second, and so on.

  my $path = $ARGV[0];

If it's being sent to your program via an input stream (the other program is writing, and your Perl program needs to read), you'd get the value from <STDIN>.

  chomp(my $path = <STDIN>);

--
Jeff "japhy" Pinyan         %  How can we ever be the sold short or
RPI Acacia Brother #734     %  the cheated, we who for every service