Dave,

technically you are correct about escaping the dot, but in this particular
situation my regexp is working.  I will escape the dot.
my goal again is to print from one sting to another.... from "allsets"
down.  I apologize for the long output if data, but I want to reflect 100%
accuracy.

Any ideas on a simple for loop with a regexp?

thanks

             Dave Gray
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       beginners@perl.org
             08/02/2005 02:19                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: reg exp using \G
             Please respond to
                 Dave Gray
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    om>

> I think I am on the right track as far as what assertion to use.  I need
> print from one string to another using .. with \G

Why do you want to use \G?

> My goal is to capture from allsets down.
> Here is my code:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> use strict;
> use warnings;
> $ENV{PATH} = qq(/opt/SUNWsamfs/sbin:/usr/bin);
> open (ARC, "archiver -lv |") or die $!;
>
>         foreach (<ARC>)
>         {
>                 ##-- Tape --##
>                 if (/allsets/ .. /fs_clinical.1/)

You need to escape dots in regular expressions '\.'

>                 {
>                         print $_;
>                         my $tape =$1;

Your regex isn't capturing anything, so $1 will always be undefined.

>                 } else {
>       /  \G 'heartlab.1'/

What are you trying to do here? You need to escape dots in regular
expressions '\.'

>       }
>         }
> close (ARC);

I think you would benefit greatly from trying to generalize your
problem and writing a simple test script that simulates the problem
you're trying to solve. Then if you're still stuck, post that test
script here, as opposed to that 5 billion line data file which is
mostly irrelevant anyway.