Brian,

I don't think you can differentiate between what came out-of-the-box
and what you had installed on your own as there isn't an XML tag or
attribute that I am aware of that would capture this information in
PPM.xml file.

That much said, this is what I think you are looking out for.

# Rex Arul --  08/16/2005
# List of PPM packages installed.
use strict;
use PPM;
my(%installedPackages) = PPM::QueryInstalledPackages();
for(sort { uc($a) cmp uc($b) } keys %installedPackages){
  print "$_\n";
}

Hope this helps,
Rex