Xavier Noria wrote:
On Aug 23, 2005, at 9:51, MNibble wrote:

I'm ask to think of an solution for an Webapp that does some math on data in an database.

The problem is, the DB has about 40.000.000 entries, the webapp needs to do mainly math on that data, the math should be "traceable", so no wild round offs.

The explanation is too generic to guess whether Perl is suitable or not. It depends for instance on "the math", how intensive are the calculations, how often they need to be done, etc. Depending on the details pure Perl can be just fine, or Perl + Stored Procedures, or Perl + C, Perl + Math::Pari, Perl + PDL, .... Can you be more specific please?

Just in case it helps Math::FixedPrecission can take care of precission in floating-point arithmetic if you need that kind of control. There are modules to deal with integers of arbitrary size or fractions. Maybe you could search for "Math::" in search.cpan.org and see what's there.

-- fxn

Well i would really like to pass more information, but right now i only have something on the math. It would be something like the total average, and general statics on that data.

I don't even know the database we will use. I'm even open to suggestions which of the DB out there is best for that, while i know that most operations will be reading from the DB.

The data should be accessible from the net ( Webserver ).

with regrads

MNibble