hey
i have a problem that's now really really frustrating me. it's probably not
a problem with the perl program itself, but it's the only thing that's
actually given me this error, and i was wondering if anyone's ever come
across this before.
i've just upgraded from mysql 3.23.55 to 3.23.59. now, no matter what i try,
every time i launch my perl program, i get this:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~/cucco]$ DBD::mysql::st execute failed: MySQL server has gone
away at ./bot.pl line 117, <GEN0> line 69.
DBD::mysql::st execute failed: MySQL server has gone away at ./bot.pl line
117, <GEN0> line 75.

i've tried moving code around various places, and the error appears on every
$sth->execute i try to run. i connect to the db using:

$sql_user = "username";
$sql_pass = "password";
$sql_conn = "dbi:mysql:dbname:localhost:3306";
$dbh = DBI->connect($sql_conn, $sql_user, $sql_pass) or die "Can't connect
to SQL Server: $DBI::errstr\n";

then all the sql statements are run by doing:
$sth = $dbh->prepare("SQL STATEMENT");
$sth->execute;
and it's the above execute line it says the mysql server's gone away on. the
other thing is, it goes away instantly. the wait_timeout on the sql server's
still default (8 hours, i believe). and i've *never* had a problem with this
code before. something's happened to a configuration, or something, and i
can't figure out why. i'm now tearing my hair out over this.
has anyone ever come across this before? if so, how did you fix it?

many thanks
dan