On 9/5/05, Jenda Krynicky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> From: Jay Savage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > On 9/3/05, Sagar Nargundkar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I need to use small floating point numbers. Is there a perl module
> > > that allows us to use arbitrarily small floats (of the order
> > > 10^-20)? Something similar to Math::BigFloat which allows us to use
> > > arbitrarily large floats.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > Sagar
> >
> > Sagar,
> >
> > "Big" in BigInt and BigFloat refers to the absolute value, not
> > wherther the number is positive or negative. 10e20 and 10e-20 are both
> > equally "Big".
>
> Erm ... no they are not. And 10e-20 is a positive number. I think
> you've mistaken it for -10e20. That's a fairly big negative number
> whose absolute value is the same as 10e20's.
>
> In either case Math::BigFloat is just fine for numbers very close to
> zero. Besides 10e-20 is not THAT small.
>
> Jenda
> ===== [EMAIL PROTECTED] === http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz =====
> When it comes to wine, women and song, wizards are allowed
>         -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery

That's what I get for not proofreading. Yes, I meant -10e20. Although
now that I think about it, OP was probably more interested in 10e-20
anyway...

-- jay
This email and attachment(s): [  ] blogable; [ x ] ask first; [  ]
private and confidential

daggerquill [at] gmail [dot] com
http://www.tuaw.com  http://www.dpguru.com  http://www.engatiki.org

values of β will give rise to dom!