----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: perl.beginners
To: <beginners@perl.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: Comparing file contents (code included)

Is there a way (since I have the file open) that I can prepend a value (I
need a number to be inserted) onto the line?

Robert

Not sure what 'kind' of number you want. Perl provides the line of the read file in the variable, $. and I'm guessing you want to prepend 'some' number to your files being read. (VASH, MONH, MANI).

It all depends on what kind of number you want.

If you want to prepend to one of the read files, you could open them for inplace editing.
http://perldoc.perl.org/perlfaq5.html#How-can-I-use-Perl's-'-i'-option-from-within-a-program%3f

Chris