On 9/29/05, mark berger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hey list. i stuck with gererating a wordlist from a changing
> multidimensional array. each entry in the array contains a list with the
> possible values.

I am bit rusty, because it took me a little too long to make it work,
but here is a recursive solution:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;

# stuff( 'ab', qw(x y z) ) => qw(abx aby abz)
sub stuff {
   my $first = shift @_;
   return map { "$first$_" } @_;
}

# gen_list( [qw(a b)], [qw(x y)] ) => qw(ax ay bx by)
sub gen_list {
   return () unless @_;

   my $suffixes = pop @_;
   return @$suffixes unless @_;

   return map { stuff($_, @$suffixes) } gen_list(@_);
}

my @wordlayout = ([qw(a b)], [qw(c)], [qw(d e f)]);
my @list = gen_list(@wordlayout);
print "list: @list\n";

What surprised me was the hassle of my first solution which had too
many 'my' variables. But when I saw it working, a prune of the code,
preserving readability, made it shorter than I would have expected.

Regards,
Adriano.