How paragraphs are delimited is actually my question.  In otherwords,
when perl reads in my string, can it identify where the paragraphs
breaks are?

In my example, $text was created in wordpad where 'This is the FIRST
paragraph' and 'This is the SECOND paragraph' are seperated by a
paragraph break.

My desired output is: This is the FIRST paragraph^PThis is the SECOND paragraph

Thank you for your interest and your efforts to help me out.  Very
much appreciated.
DA