a) validate/sanitize user input

Data::FormValidator can be a little daunting at first, but it's very powerful and flexible. After some use it becomes your best friend ;-)

b) differentiate between persistent parameter values and "volatile" ones (the
    latter meaning a value only used along one request/answer)

You're talking about session values and request values.
I think you should a search for 'Session' on search.cpan.org and try out some modules, especially those in the Apache:: namespace. Also, read the documentation of some of them even if you don't try them out: you'll learn a lot about the problem(s) you are trying to solve.

[snip rest of message]

HTH

--
Marcello Romani