ZHAO, BING wrote:
Hi,
I was advised to check out man cron for how to use cron. Set off do_it.pl using cron. But that's about it , all I can get from web help. I have no clue: 1. what should I include in the do_it.pl, say to delete certain old files? 2. this is a more unix problem, how should I exactly invoke "crontab do_it.pl", say I want cron to run do_it.pl everyday?
           thank you all.

best,

You should also check:

man crontab
man 5 crontab

cron is started at boot time and normally you have nothing to do with it. Also:

1. Your crontab is ran under your userid but not in the same environment. Do not rely on the environment variables PATH, MANPATH, HOME, or USER to have any values.

2. All output to STDOUT and STDERR is collected and sent to your mail. This may or may not be connected to your GUI email application. Consult your sysadmin on how to do this.

--

Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
   --- Shawn

"Probability is now one. Any problems that are left are your own."
   SS Heart of Gold, _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_