ZHAO, BING wrote:

Hi,

Hello,

It seems pretty easy to unlink a file from a directory, but wherever describes unlinking file has no counterpart on create a file. I did perldoc -q file: got what seemed to be what I need, then tested my program, no good:
opendir PDB,"SCRATCH" or die "cannot open the SCRATCH dir:$!";
my @GG=grep{!/^./ && !/^../} readdir(PDB); #to store all the file names in the array @GG
my $NN=scalar (@GG+1);
$filenamie="PDB_$NN.txt";
open LOO,">>SCRATCH/$filenamie" or die "cannot open the SCRATCH/$filenamie:$!"; sysopen(LOO, "SCRATCH/$filenamie", O_WRONLY|O_TRUNC|O_CREAT) || die $!; sysopen(LOO, "SCRATCH/$filenamie", O_WRONLY|O_TRUNC|O_CREAT, 0666) || die $!;
select LOO;
print "linking was successful!";

This didn't work.

Just FYi you don;t have to opendir() a directory to work with files in it.

What was wrong?

use strict;
use warnings;

open my $scratch_fh, '>', "SCRATCH/$filenamie"
    or die "can not openSCRATCH/$filenamie: $!";

print $scratch_fh "Hello scratch\n";

close $scatch_fh;

perldoc -f open