John Doe wrote:
> The Ghost am Freitag, 2. Dezember 2005 19.30:
>
>>       print "$_: ";
>>      my @lines=<FILE>;
>
> and close opened files:
>
>       close FILE or die "couldn't close $File::Find::name: $!";
>
>>      print "$#lines\n";
>>          $totalLines+=$#lines; #wanted's value is ignored so we have to
>>do this here.
>>      return;}
>>          print "$totalLines\n";

You bring up an interesting point about closing the filehandle because
normally you don't have to worry about that as perl will do the right thing.
However in the example I posted using the $. variable:

sub wanted {

    () = <FILE>;
    print "$.\n";
    $totalLines += $.;
    }
print "$totalLines\n";

Produces an incorrect value for $totalLines unless you close the filehandle
but if you don't close the filehandle then you can do this:

sub wanted {

    () = <FILE>;
    }
print "$.\n";