I see. That's fine then. I didn't know that you were using the package name as a prefix to the subroutine name (DBConn::). In that case you don't need to use the Exporter. You only need it if you want to use the the subroutines as if they were in the current package (for example, db1(), and not DBConn::db1()).

Vishal

Robert wrote:

I simply use:

my $dbh = DBConn::db1();

It does the right connection (i.e. subroutine) from the DBConn package and I didn't use Exporter. I should also mention that DBConn is in the same folder and the calling script so maybe that makes a difference.

I am probably going to go back and do a proper module of it so I can get in the "habit" of doing so.

Robert

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
It is okay to do something like that. However, you should not use the package declaration on the top. If you do that, you will have to use the Exporter module
to export your subroutine names to your script when you say "use DBConn;"

Quoting Robert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I have broken out my DB connection calls into a small module. It isn't
anything fancy so it is basically:

package DBConn

use strict;
use warnings;

sub { # connection info for db1 }

sub { # connection info for db2 }

sub { # connection info for db3 }

1;

The question is do I go through the formal process of creating a module for
everything (I use Module::Starter) or is it okay to do something like the
above for very small modules?

Robert