David Gilden wrote:
Greetings,
I looked for documentation on 'use constant'  but it has eluded it me.....

perldoc constant

my $path =  `pwd`;
use constant UPLOAD_DIR     => "/home/sites/site123/web/private/_data/";

I want to get the Document Root at runtime and concatenate like such...

my $path =  `pwd`;
use constant UPLOAD_DIR     => "$path/_data/";

use Cwd; for that, one reason (out of many) is that now UPLOAD_DIR is actually:

/i/am/here
/_data/

because of the newline in the pwd backtick command

But this fails.....

is this construct from the PERL 4 days?
constant UPLOAD_DIR

You can also use ReadOnly; and even better is to use File::Spec to join what Cwd gives you to _data, more portable...