I'm trying to understand the algorithm for generating uuids or guids. I was
hoping to use my perl debugger to single step thru the algorithm that
creates guids/uuids. So I downloaded the tar.gz files at

http://search.cpan.org/src/AGOLOMSH/Data-UUID-0.11/UUID.pm
http://search.cpan.org/~phenson/DCE-Perl-0.21/UUID/UUID.pm
http://search.cpan.org/~braam/UUID-0.02/UUID.pm

I cannot find the source code for the algorithm. I was surprised to learn
that some or all of these called C. I would think a simple algorithm like
this could be implemented easily in perl.

Well, C source code is fine too but I still cannot find the algorithm in C
source code either. There are .xs files that look like C with a lot of
macros but no algorithm.

Can someone help me understand where the source code to the algorithm is
(preferably in perl)?

Also, I as assuming there was a standard algorithm for guids/uuids. Any
information on this will be welcomed (but it might be a little off topic).

Thanks,
Siegfried