Sorry for the repeat posting, that's NOT solved.

(Excuse the long post.)

Unless I'm missing something, this doesn't do what I wanted. I want is the whole command *line*, not the portion of it that evoked the script, the latter being the individual *command* within the command line--confusing enough ;-) ? If I issue the example I gave in my OP:

  echo -n "Starting..." ; more some-stuff | \
    doStuff.pl - 3 > save-here.out ; echo "done."

Within doStuff.pl I want to obtain the command line, i.e. everything from "echo" through to '"done."', or at least everything from "more" through to "save-here.out". (As I wrote in my OP: "everything including pipes and redirects, etc.") Its the reason I gave this extended example command line as an example, including it spanning lines.

PID->get_command() gives me just the script and it parameters. That is, it gives the command, not the command line.

Trying to get Unix::PID to give the command of the ppid, yields '-bash' (let's hope I'm doing things right!), so I presume that the command *line* isn't considered a unit in this scheme of things--? Put another way, the example above would yield five commands, each whose parent is '-bash' and the command *line* isn't retained in the PID hierarchy? This makes sense to me in that lines aren't processes are such, so I can imagine the shell splitting into the five piece, but it'd also mean that Unix::PID is very unlikely to be any use to me :-(

(I know bash 3.0+ has a BASH_COMMAND env. var. and I'm looking into installing a bash 3.0.x alongside Apple's 2.05b btw, but it'd be nicer to have a solution that's not tied to a particular shell or version.)

Thanks,

Grant

Grant Jacobs wrote:

Item: Obtaining complete Unix command line that evoked script as a string

use Unix::PID;

my $pid = Unix::PID->new();
print 'The kernel says I am: ' . $pid->get_command($$);

Grant Jacobs Ph.D.                                     BioinfoTools
ph. +64 3 478 0095  (office, after 10am)               PO Box 6129,
or  +64 27 601 5917 (mobile)                               Dunedin,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                               NEW ZEALAND.
Bioinformatics tools: deriving knowledge from biological data Bioinformatics tools - software development - consulting - training
 15 years experience in bioinformatics ready to solve your problem
Check out the website for more details: http://www.bioinfotools.com

The information contained in this mail message is  confidential and
may be legally privileged.  Readers of this message who are not the
intended recipient are hereby notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited.  If you
have received this message in error please notify the sender immed-
iately and destroy the original message.  This applies also to  any
attached documents.