On Jan 21, 2006, at 17:28, Bowen, Bruce wrote:

> I have files with this format
>
> text
> text
> |fs
>
> text
> text
> text
> |fs
>
> The goal here is to make this data into a flat file of continuous
> text (including the |fs).    texttext|fstexttexttext|fs
>
> I know how to get rid of the carriage returns using s/\n//g, but
> haven't had any luck in finding the way to get rid of the line
> feeds following the |fs.

Perhaps that file has mixed newline conventions? Does

     $entire_file_content =~ tr/\015\012//d;

do what you need?

-- fxn

That did not work.  I've looked into the file with a hex editor it that's
telling me there's a
hex 0D 0A 0D 0A after each |FS.  I've tried all of the combinations I can think
of, none of which had any effect.  The process seems to work up to the first
time it gets to that hex data.

TX,
Bruce Bowen