On 2/9/06, Bob Showalter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> jm wrote:
> > i've asked oracle's forums and gotten nothing useful, so hopefully
> > someone here can help...
> >
> > i have scripts that connect to mysql; they need to connect to an
> > oracle server.  i've tried installing DBD::Oracle from cpan, and get
> > an error message about  "The ORACLE_HOME environment variable value
> > (/usr/lib/oracle/10.2.0.1/client/lib) is not valid." - this after
> > installing oracle's instantclient-basic and instantclient-sqlplus.
> >
> > my question is, what oracle software (the absolute minimum necessary)
> > do i need to install in order for scripts to connect to an oracle
> > server?  and if i did install the proper programs (all of them)
> > what/where do i need to go to find the missing steps to get it all
> > working?
>
> I think you have enough software. If you can run SQL*Plus, you should be
> OK. Try using just "/usr/lib/oracle/10.2.0.1" or
> "/usr/lib/oracle/10.2.0.1/client" as your ORACLE_HOME. Also, be sure to
> look at the README's with the DBD::Oracle package.

trying "/usr/lib/oracle/10.2.0.1" gives me "... Unable to locate an
oracle.mk, proc.mk or other suitable *.mk file in your Oracle
installation. ..."  different error, but no .mk files are included in
the downloads i installed.  i found a different point of contact in
oracle, i'm also asking there to see if this new person might have
something useful but if there are any other suggestions, don't
hesitate *s*