nishanth ev am Dienstag, 14. Februar 2006 17.56:
> hello Friends,
>
> Have anyone tried stopping a service say httpd usng a
> cgi script ?
> I have set a setuid for the cgi script and the script
> is in the root cgi-bin directory namely
> /var/www/cgi-bin/ with ownership root and have the
> following contents in the file
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> $ENV{'PATH'} = '/bin:/usr/bin';
> print"Content-type:text/html\n\n";
> `/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop`;
>
> ./file-name.cgi will stop the httpd but i want to stop
> the httpd when i access this cgi through the browser.

As Tom alredy pointed out, there are some security implications by enabling
service starting and stopping through a web interface.

In my persopnal opinion, it's better not to call a (set-id) program but just
touch or modify a file if possible.

You could set up a cron job to test modification time of the touched file and
stopping/restarting the service accordingly
(and, e.g., let it send a notification mail to you or any other recipient not
provided by the webinterface user).

In any case, be careful not to enable DOS-attacks.

hth,
Hans