Johannes Ernst wrote:
I realize why it does that. I'm asking whether I can have something higher-level that works for objects on the abstraction level where one usually looks at an object.

Data::Dumper is designed to produce Perl source code that can be eval'd to reconstruct the object. So it can't easily produce exactly what you're looking for. By messing around with $Data::Dumper::Terse and $Data::Dumper::Bless, you can get pretty close though.

Otherwise, take a look at the source code for the _dump method and tweak it around to get the results you're after.

--
Well I can't stop here all day...I'm on a cycling tour of North Cornwall!