This has lingered long enough without response. Sorry it took me a while
to get back to it after initially seeing it. I had this same problem a
couple of years ago. It does appear that Math::PARI has an active
maintainer again so you might try dropping him a line about this issue.

I solved it by testing each previous version (of libPARI) until I hit
one that would install cleanly. As much as it stinks to not have the
most recent version of something, a working version is better than no
version.

HTH,

http://danconia.org

Thanks for the response. I did manage to solve the Math::Pari install
problem by following Jeff Eggen's idea about configuring it with
machine=none. I have no idea about whether or not, as he mentions, it's
unusably slow because I proceeded with the rest of the Net::SFTP install
and got similarly hung up on the install for Math::GMP. (Un)fortunately
enough time has elapsed on this that the Powers That Be decided to
shelve this project and go a different way. So for now I'm off the hook.

Ironically, we have Net::SFTP running fine in other environments. It's
just this one box...

Thanks again for the help!

richf